This is your regular reminder that what you see online isn’t always the reality. Marino Katsouris recently took to Instagram to show his followers they should take what appears on their feeds with a pinch of salt.
Marino’s in great shape. There’s no denying it. He’s worked hard to build muscle and strength and is extremely disciplined with his workout and eating regimes. But he doesn’t always look like he does in his photos. A post-workout pump plus great lighting goes a long way to enhancing his physique.
“Being fit doesn’t mean you look good 24/7. Lighting, pump, food/water intake, all these variables will affect the way you look on a daily basis. It doesn’t mean you have lost progress.”
“How can I achieve a pump?” I hear you asking. Well, I anticipated this. Here’s an upper body workout from Marino to help you on your way. We're not saying you need to get a pump, but this workout should help if you’re interested.
Incline dumbbell shoulder press
- Grab a bench and make sure it’s on an incline setting
- Sit back against the bench and if needed, use your knees to push the dumbbells up so you’re holding them above your shoulders
- Lower the dumbbells so your elbows are in line with your shoulders
- Drive the dumbbells back up so they’re above your head
- Begin with a dumbbell in each hand in an overhand grip, resting by your side
- Drive your arms up to your sides so your arms are in line with your shoulders
- Control the movement and avoid swinging your arms
TRX rear delt fly
- Grab a TRX handle in each hand, but make sure it’s suspended at a height
- Stand with your feet close to the wall
- Recline until your arms are straight
- Bring your arms from in front of you, up and out to the sides so they’re in a Y-shape and you’re standing vertically
- Grab a weight in each hand (this could be a dumbbell, kettlebell or a plate)
- Allow your hands to rest by your sides
- Drive your shoulders up in a shrug motion
- Then return your hands to your sides
Take home message
Next time you see an influencer with an impossible physique, just remember there’s normally excellent lighting, a post-workout pump and perhaps even some baby oil at play. Contrary to how it may look, lots of time, effort and manipulation are often needed for the perfect Instagram pic. Don’t get too sucked in — just focus on yourself and your own progress.