If you’re one of the 104,000 subscribers to Rosi Jay Pierce YouTube channel, you’ll know she’s an award-winning UK fitness & lifestyle vlogger and qualified personal trainer — sharing her knowledge to those who need it most.
Juggling work, vlogging, fitness, with being a mum, certainly sounds challenging, right? Sticking to a regular routine can be a struggle for anyone. And, for those with busy lifestyles, squeezing in weekly workouts can feel impossible — but it doesn’t need to be.
If you find yourself short on time, this lower-body workout from Rosi Jay Pierce is the perfect way to keep on top of your fitness goals — no matter how busy you are.
This is great for learning how to hinge at the hip without overloading your spine.
- Standing upright with your feet about hip-width apart, place one foot a half step forward.
- If you placed your left foot forward hold the dumbbell in that hand.
- Keeping your spine neutral (straight) hinge at the hips and lower the dumbbell till you reach halfway down your shin.
- In a controlled manner pull upwards and keep the dumbbell close to your leg at all times.
- When you are at the top of the lift squeeze your glutes.
Sets and reps: 3 sets of 12 reps for each leg.
If you have issues with your mobility doing these can help loosen your legs up to get a deep squat.
- Start with your legs wider than shoulder-width and keep your toes facing forward.
- Move your weight to your left leg, focus on bending at the knee and sitting back as far as you can.
- Keep your right leg out to the side and rotate onto your heel — you should feel a stretch in your hamstring.
- Pause for a second
- Push up through your left heel as you would in a squat and repeat
Sets and reps: 4 sets of 10 on each leg.
The second-best compound move for the legs focusing on the quads and hamstrings.
- Stand upright, feet together, and take a big lunge forward with your right leg, lowering your hips toward the floor.
- Bend both knees to 90-degree angles. The back knee should point toward but not touch the floor, and your front knee should be directly over the ankle.
- Push back upwards and repeat for the other leg.
- Keep the core tight and upper body stable and upright.
Sets and reps: 4 sets of 10 reps on each leg.
There’s no leg or lower body workout without a squat it’s a great compound movement and it’s great for working every leg muscle.
- Start with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Body upright looking forward and a tight core.
- Heels planted, sit as deep as you can before pushing back to a standing start.
- Take two seconds to release down, hold for two and power back up.
Sets and reps: 4 sets of 20 reps
This lower body exercise incorporates both your lower back and legs so it’s the best of both worlds.
- Place your feet outside of should width and hold the dumbbell at the end with both hands
- Lower the dumbbell in between your legs bending at the hips and knees till your legs are parallel to the floor.
- Drive-up through your heels and squeeze your glutes at the top of the movement.
Sets and reps: 4 sets of 10 reps
Take Home Message
Working out doesn’t always have to be barbells and all machine equipment possible sometimes just one dumbbell will do the trick. Rosi Jay has shown us that it can be easy too. This workout can be done in the home or the gym you just need the one dumbbell.
It doesn’t even matter how busy you are because this workout will only take 30 minutes out of your day if you’re in that much of a rush. There are no excuses now.