Achieving that toned tummy, lean legs and the perfect bottom isn’t easy at the best of times. We know that with no access to the gym or with limited equipment it can be tough, but not impossible (if you know-how).
So, if you are unable to get to the gym right now, don’t worry. We’re going to show you have to do this from the comfort of your own home.
What is legs, bums and tums?
Essentially, it is what it says on the tin. A series of exercises that target your core, your legs and your bum whether that may be for body fat reduction or toning, this is a one size fits all workout that can help you build towards your desired goal.
We’ve all seen the ‘Legs, Bums and Tums’ class on our local gym timetable. The ones that promise to help us shape up and burn fat as we lunge, step and squat our way to the sculpted body we desire. Well, we’ve put together our favourite exercises, so you can get to work from home.
- Start with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Body upright looking forward and a tight core.
- Heels planted, sit as deep as you can before pushing back to a standing start.
- Take two seconds to release down, hold for two and power back up.
2. Walking Lunges
- Stand upright, feet together, and take a big lunge forward with your right leg, lowering your hips toward the floor.
- Bend both knees to 90-degree angles. The back knee should point toward but not touch the floor, and your front knee should be directly over the ankle.
- Power form this position and continue through until the opposite leg is now forward lunging.
- Keep the core tight and upper body stable and upright.
- Put your hands on hips or above your head for some added difficulty.
3. Bulgarian Split Squats
- Place one foot on a solid surface behind you and take a big stride out. A bench or chair is perfect for this.
- Keeping your body upright, slowly lower yourself until your front knee is bent at a 90-degree angle.
- Pause at the bottom of the move, then push back up to the starting position.
“If you have a resistance band, use it to increase the difficulty.”
4. Squat Jumps
- Adopt a squat position
- Squat down as low as you can with your arms by your side
- Explode upwards, firing through your quads and glutes, and get as high as you can
- Land in the squat position and repeat.
5. Side Lunges
- Start standing with legs slightly wider than the shoulders apart and toes pointed forward.
- Shift your body weight to one leg bending the knee until it reaches a 90-degree or as close as possible, angle and the other leg is straight. Glutes are pressing back behind you. Return to centre and switch sides.
- Tighten the core and keep the body as upright as you can.
How long does it take to tone legs?
Exercise is not the only factor here; your nutrition also needs to be on point. Calculating your calories effectively and following a substantial diet will support your training and with this, you can expect to see results in 3-8 weeks of hard graft.
Does walking tone your legs?
Adding a brisk walk to your day can produce more of a calorie deficit and assist in reducing body fat and when combined with the recommended exercises, can decrease the time it takes to produce your results and tone your legs faster.
Walking is an inexpensive way to increase your activity levels and tone your legs due to the increased workload on the leg muscles. Just remember though, make sure your diet supports your training.
1. Glute Bridges
- Start by laying on your back with a 90-degree bend at your knees
- Start the movement by tucking your hips under and activate your TVA by sucking in the belly button
- Raise your hips until you can draw a straight line from your shoulders through your hips to your knees
- The pressure should be through the heels of your feet and you should try to prevent any excessive curvature to your lower back
- Return to the start of the movement without allowing your hips to rest on the floor
2. Single-Leg Hip Thrust
- Place your back against a bench, step or chair, with one knee bent and your foot flat on the floor.
- Raise your other leg and bend your knee so that your hip and knee form 90-degree angles.
- Using the one leg, push away, squeeze your glutes and raise your hips until they’re in line with your torso.
- Lower yourself back down to the starting position. That’s one rep.
“If you have a resistance band, you can add some extra difficulty.”
3. Kneeling Kickbacks
- Start on all fours and align your wrists under your shoulders and your knees under your hips.
- Without changing the angle of your knee, extend your leg back and upwards until your thigh is parallel to the ground.
- Squeeze your glutes at the top of the movement and hold.
- Return to your starting position without touching your knee to the ground and repeat.
- Swap legs and repeat the steps.
4. Fire Hydrant
- Get yourself onto all-fours with your hands under your shoulders and knees under your hips.
- Push one leg away from the body by lifting your left knee out to the side. It’s important to keep your core engaged so your body doesn’t rotate during the movement.
- Return your leg to your starting position. That’s one rep.
- Once you’ve done all your reps on the side, switch legs.
- Do all your reps on one side, then switch to the other side.
- Lift your arms and legs off the floor at the same time around 10-15cm forming a curve in your body.
- Pause at this point before slowly, controlled, returning to the start position. This is where your core keeps you steady.
How do I tone my bum fast?
With the right diet and training, results can be relatively fast but, they won’t happen overnight.
Be patient, to begin with, but over a 3-4 week period, results will begin to show themselves and after a further few weeks, you will be pleased with what you see.
1. V-Sit Up
- Lie on your back with your legs straight up off the floor.
- Your arms should be extended above your head, and your hands touching the floor. This is the starting position.
- Bring your body to a “V” shape by lifting your torso towards your legs, keeping both your legs straight and your arms extended.
2. The Deadbug
- Lie flat on your back, with your arms held out in front of you, reaching for the sky.
- Bring your legs up so your knees are bent at 90-degree angles.
- Start by lowering your right arm and left leg at the same time, exhaling as you go.
- Keep going until your right arm and left leg are slightly above the floor.
- Slowly return to the starting position and repeat with the opposite limbs.
3. Leg Raises
- Lie on your back, legs straight and together.
- Keep your legs straight and lift them all the way up to the ceiling until your butt comes off the floor.
- Slowly lower your legs back down till they’re just above the floor and hold this position for a moment.
- Raise your legs back up and repeat the exercise.
4. Mountain Climbers
- Get into the top of the push-up position. This is the starting position.
- Keeping your back in a straight line, bring your right knee towards your chest, then quickly bring it back to the starting position.
- Now, bring your left knee in towards your chest and return to starting position.
- Now speed up the movement, alternating legs quickly, as if you are running in place with your hands on the ground.
5. Bicycle Crunch
- Start by lying on the ground, with your lower back pressed into the floor and your head and shoulders raised slightly above it.
- Place your hands lightly on the sides of your head, lift one leg just off the ground and extend it outwards.
- Lift the opposite leg and bend your knee towards your chest. As you do, twist your core, so the opposite arm comes towards the raised knee.
- Lower your leg and arm at the same time while bringing up the opposite two limbs to mirror the movement.
What is the best exercise for your stomach?
The best exercise for your stomach is cooking. You can train as long and as hard as you like but if your nutrition does not support this, training will become irrelevant.
Take Home Message
So now you know, there is nothing standing in your way to sculpting your legs bums and tums. Just make sure your diet is supporting your training and you will see firmer thighs in no time.